Migration Watch UK reacts as Immigration Statistics highlight failure to cut immigration
August 24, 2023
Alp Mehmet, Chairman of Migration Watch UK said:
These are damning figures and a stark reminder of the scale of the government’s failure to control, let alone reduce, immigration.
Indeed their policies have driven much of the uncontrolled increase. No doubt the public will bear this lamentable performance in mind when it comes to casting their vote at the next election.
Notes to editors
The Immigration Statistics, year ending Q2 2023, show that:
- Work visas granted to main applicants rose by 45% in the past year
- Health and Care visas rose by 157%.
- 40% of all work visas went to dependants
- 78,000 people immigrated to the UK as care workers
- Study visas to main applicants have risen by 23% to nearly half a million
- Almost 100,000 international students extended their stay via the Graduate Visa Route