Labour Party conference motion on immigration
September 25, 2019
Commenting, Alp Mehmet, Chairman of Migration Watch UK, said:
This is a foolhardy call for completely uncontrolled mass immigration as well as for the dismantling of any effective means of removal. Thirty million UK adults - or 60% - wish to see immigration reduced. If these reckless policies ever reach the statute book, we will all rue the day, especially the most vulnerable in our society.
Additional note to editors
- The proposals are out-of-touch and irresponsible.
- The already-unsustainable scale of arrivals from overseas - now a quarter of a million - would quickly spiral even further out of control.
- Three quarters of the public said they see illegal immigration as a serious problem (Project28, 2018).
- 70-80% support compliant environment policies aimed at tackling illegal immigration (YouGov, 2018).
- Effective border controls are not xenophobic but sensible and reasonable. They are the position held by most of the public, both in the UK and in Europe.
- About every poll shows that only a tiny minority of voters favour this kind of free-for-all.