20 May, 2022
1. We are looking to recruit a Researcher to work with Migration Watch UK.
2. Migration Watch UK is an independent think tank with an office in Westminster, London. We have been analysing immigration and its impacts on the UK for over 20 years. We were founded in late 2001 by Lord Green of Deddington, the former UK Ambassador to Saudi Arabia and Syria, and Dr David Coleman, Emeritus Professor of Demography at Oxford University.
3. The successful candidate would help to deliver Migration Watch UK’s research agenda while also contributing to the running of our day-to-day operations and helping to ensure the accuracy of our output. The person would also act as a contact point for journalists, members of the public and other stakeholders.
Responsibilities of role:
- Monitoring, and analysis, of official datasets and reports on immigration
- Preparation of briefing papers
- Ensuring a detailed and growing knowledge of UK, European and global immigration policies and their impacts
- Development of contacts with other researchers in the field
- Presentation of research findings to interested stakeholders and potentially in the media
- Acting as a contact point for members of the public and journalists
- Helping to shape our digital media profile
- Liaising with public and private sector organisations on immigration policy questions
Key attributes required:
- A firm commitment to the objectives of Migration Watch UK and to our non-partisan, evidence-based approach
- A strong grasp of numbers and statistics and robust attention to granular detail
- A keen commitment to accuracy
- Strong organisational skills
- Strong policy knowledge, especially of the history and present state of UK immigration policy
- First-class management and organisational skills
- A positive, conscientious and hardworking approach
- The ability to work well with team members
- Extensive experience of - and deep comfort with - analysing and summarising statistical bulletins and datasets
- Extensive experience of working with Excel and statistical analysis software
- Experience of working in a public policy role
- Track record of building contacts with journalists
Closing Date: 10 June 2022
4. We will aim to hold interviews in the two to three weeks after the closing date.
5. If you wish to apply for this position, please provide a CV outlining your work experience (two pages of A4 maximum) and include a covering letter explaining why you are interested in the role and summarising the approach that you would bring to it. Please email applications to:firstname.lastname@example.org